Saturday, February 7, 2009

DIY background stand: fail.

I started a project today to make a do-it-yourself stand for the 9-foot seamless paper backgrounds I bought from a woman on Craigslist. Unfortunately, I've decided that the PVC just isn't quite strong enough to hold the background paper, and a bit too clumsy to be useful. I was basing it off of a  DIY Background Stand Design I found. I expect that the instructions would work well if my paper wasn't so heavy. His design uses 4-foot wide material, but mine is 9 feet across, so I expect it's quite a bit heavier. The weight, coupled with the extra width makes the whole thing unstable.

So now I have 40 feet of PVC and a bunch of couplings. I guess I could make some simple light stands. Anyone have other ideas?

3 comments:

  1. You could create a system for routing water from one place to another (lower) place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cut up the pvc and use the couplings to turn them into rectangles. then buy some sort of diffuse white fabric and attach it to the pvc to make large diffusion screens. See here: http://www.x-pose.be/learn/x-mas/ (link found here: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/11/behold-light-with-diffusion-panel.html)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth: I actually made a large diffusion panel much like that one, but it was before I had this blog, so I didn't write about its construction. I also have some other DIY photo projects I've completed, but this background stand was my latest.

    And to Ian: :-P

    ReplyDelete